Hey guys, so last night I had this insuppressible craving for stuffed peppers and when that happens I kinda have to follow my urges otherwise my cravings will get the best of me. You’ll notice I didn’t even have time to take a “professional” photo of my creation, because I was just so hungry by the time they came out of the oven! 😝
Stuffed peppers are a great Paleo meal – they are full of veggies (they are encompassed in a veggie!) and they come with a healthy and filling portion of your choice of meat. They are also very versatile – you can make them with just about anything you have in the fridge, as long as you have a few bell peppers you can stuff.
Pro tip: make sure to get peppers with flat bottoms, otherwise they will tip over during baking. And you’ll lose half the stuffing. I learned the hard way.
For my stuffed peppers, I chose to go the traditional route – ground beef, onions, garlic, mushrooms, crushed tomatoes, and I used cauliflower “rice” to replace regular rice to make it 100% Paleo.
Cauliflower rice is perfect for this. It adds more volume so you have enough stuffing for 4-5 peppers. It’s also very good for you. Cauliflower is full of vitamins (especially Vitamin C) and sulforaphane, a sulfur compound that has been shown to kill cancer stem cells.
Pssst! You can get pre-shredded cauliflower at some supermarkets to avoid dealing with all the cauliflower mess. It makes cleanup infinitely easier!
Needless to say, there was no shame in my game when I devoured two of these bad boys. They were so good! Enjoy this recipe and let me know how it turns out for you!
Paleo Stuffed Peppers with Cauliflower “Rice”2016-03-26 15:00:46A healthy and savory traditional-style stuffed pepper recipe made with ground beef and Paleo-friendly cauliflower rice.Write a reviewSave RecipePrintIngredients
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 portobello mushroom, sliced
- 1 can organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 head of cauliflower, shredded or blended into rice-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cook onion, mushroom and garlic with some olive oil over medium heat until slightly soft.
- Add the ground beef and brown it until it’s mostly cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower rice to the pan, and cook another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes and all the spices. Let it simmer for a few minutes for some of the liquid to boil out.
- Cut the tops off of your peppers and discard (you can save them for later if you want your peppers to have “lids” but I just toss them!)
- Fill peppers with the stuffing.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the peppers are cooked through and soft.
- Voila! Your delicious and healthy dinner is ready. Easy, huh?
By Paleo BabeThe Paleo Babe http://www.thepaleobabe.com/