Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Oh, chocolate lava cakes. Those cute little warm gooey chocolaty desserts have always been my guilty pleasure, long before I learned about Paleo or sugar or proper nutrition.
These days, I try to avoid anything with added sugars and gluten, but chocolate lava cakes still haunt my dreams.
So, like any sane person that’s being haunted with dreams of chocolaty desserts, I decided to re-create it using only Paleo ingredients.
And it came. out. awesome.
My non-Paleo boyfriend tried my creation with slight caution, but after one bite he was totally on board. And if he’s on board, I know it’s a win.
For anyone who doesn’t know what chocolate lava cakes are (um, where have you been?!) – they are small chocolate decadence cakes, baked just long enough to cook the outside but leaving the inside gooey and warm.
They are usually made with dark chocolate and served with berries and ice cream. It’s a rich and filling dessert that goes especially well with romantic dinners (hint hint: Valentine’s day!)
Now, I don’t usually condone Paleo “desserts” because sugar is still sugar, whether it’s the white refined kind or comes out of a bee packed with nutrients.
However, Valentine’s day is an exception. The stores are screaming at you to buy chocolate. Red, pink, purple heart-shaped boxes filled with candy are at every turn.
Something about the roses and the romance and the specialness of this holiday makes it okay to have a yourself a small delicious chocolate lave cake. At least that’s what I keep telling myself.
The good news is that I figured out how to make this treat as healthy as possible! This recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free and refined sugar-free.
Without further ado, I present to you this Paleo-friendly version of my favorite dessert. I hope it makes Valentine’s day that much more special for you and your loved one (or just you, no shame in that!)
Paleo Molten Chocolate Lava Cake2016-02-09 23:30:25A delicious gluten-free, dairy-free, Paleo chocolate molten lava cake.Write a reviewSave RecipePrintIngredients
- 4 oz of dark baking chocolate
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Melt the coconut oil with the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl at 30 second intervals.
- In a mixing bowl, combine honey, eggs, almond flour, flax seed, cocoa powder and vanilla extract and mix until it becomes a thick paste. I used a handheld mixer, but you can also just mix it by hand.
- Pour in the melted chocolate/coconut oil and stir. At this point the mixture should resemble a chocolate souffle.
- Grease 2 ramekins (6-oz pyrex cups work well too) with some coconut oil and pour the chocolate mixture evenly into the containers, so they’re about 3/4 full.
- Bake on 425 F for about 10-12 minutes. You want them set on the outside but liquid-y on the inside.
By Paleo BabeThe Paleo Babe http://www.thepaleobabe.com/